- Specialisms: Conservation of books, leather, unbound paper, and parchment materials, research into conservation-grade adhesives, creation of custom protective enclosures, bookbinding, and letterpress printing.
- Eight years of experience as a book conservator and conservation technician working on contemporary and historic binding structures and unbound paper materials, stabilising and arresting damage through mechanical and chemical treatments.
- MA Conservation Studies (with Distinction). West Dean College, West Sussex, England, 2013.
- Conservation of Books and Library Materials Postgraduate Diploma (with Distinction). West Dean College, West Sussex, England, 2013.
- Conservation of Books and Library Materials Graduate Diploma. West Dean College, West Sussex, England, 2012. Includes additional training in the following areas
- Leather Conservation training with the Leather Conservation Centre (PCiP certificate awarded).
- Leather Conservation training under the tutelage of Karen Vidler.
- B.A., Medieval & Renaissance Studies and Psychology, Wellesley College. Specialised coursework includes
- Papyrus to Print to Pixel, a for-credit class encompassing the history of written communication with both practical and theoretical elements.
- Book Arts 107, a for-credit class in the practical aspects of bookbinding and letterpress printing.
- Book Conservator at an independent New England conservation center performing conservation treatments on books, flat paper, and parchment objects, 2016-Present.
- Book and Paper Conservator at the Cambridge University Library performing conservation on Charles Darwin manuscript materials, books & paper documents from the World War II Changi prisoner of war internment camp, and the Lewis-Gibson Genizah Collection, which consists of 1,791 paper and parchment medieval manuscript fragments from the Cairo Genizah, 2013-2016.
- Intern at the Cambridge University Library performing conservation treatments on paper manuscript fragments from the Jacques Mosseri Genizah Collection and medieval parchment manuscript pages, and creating a fine binding book model in the Mudéjar Gothic style, 2013.
- Intern at the Leather Conservation Centre in Northampton completing conservation treatments on minute books from the Worshipful Company of Saddlers, leather suitcases and purses, and the leather cushions from a 1901 Mors automobile belonging to the Royal Automobile Club, 2012.
- Copy Cataloguer at the Harvard Law School Library, cataloguing Germanic and Romance language books, 2010-2011.
- Conservation and Exhibitions Contractor at the Harvard Business School’s Baker Library executing conservation treatments on financial books and documents for an exhibit on the history of personal credit, 2010. Exhibition Website: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/credit/
- Intern at the Boston Athenaeum in Boston, Massachusetts creating protective Melinex enclosures for American Civil War documents and completing conservation treatments on items from George Washington’s personal library, 2010.
- Conservation Assistant in the Conservation Facility of the Wellesley College Clapp Library performing conservation treatments on books and documents from the general circulating collection and creating custom clamshell boxes for books from the Historical and Special Collections Department, 2007-2009.
- Book Arts Lab Assistant in the Book Arts Lab of Wellesley College, completing bookbinding, typesetting, and letterpress printing projects, 2006-2009.
PUBLICATIONS AND CONFERENCES
- Co-presenting “The Lewis-Gibson Project: Reflections on the conservation of 1,791 manuscript fragments from the Cairo Genizah” at the Sixteenth International Seminar on the Care and Conservation of Manuscripts, Copenhagen, 2016.
- Co-authored the article French, Goldie, and Nichols (2014), Conserving the Lewis-Gibson Collection, Icon News, Issue 55, November 2014, pp. 33-36.
- Presented “Investigating the Ageing Properties of Lascaux 303 HV and 498 HV on Paper and Leather” at three separate sessions of the Archives and Records Association’s (ARA) Conservation Training Event in the following locations:
- National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh, Scotland, 2014.
- Flintshire Record Office, Hawarden, North Wales, 2014
- Norfolk Record Office, Norwich, England, 2013.
ACADEMIC HONOURS AND AWARDS
- Invited to present bookbinding projects completed while at West Dean College at the Coronation Festival at Buckingham Palace – work was viewed by Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles, and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall during the Royal Preview, 2013.
- Awarded an MA and Postgraduate Diploma from West Dean College with Distinction, 2013.
- Recipient of a Scholarship from the Leathersellers’ Company for Postgraduate and MA studies at West Dean College, 2013.
- Recipient of a Scholarship from the Newby Trust for Postgraduate and MA studies at West Dean College, 2012.
- Recipient of a Scholarship from the Queen Elizabeth Scholarship Trust for MA studies at West Dean College, 2012.
- Awarded the Nick Johnson Prize for the graduate student with the highest grades in the West Dean Book Conservation Programme, 2012.
- Recipient of a Scholarship from the York Foundation for Conservation and Craftsmanship for MA studies at West Dean College, 2012.
- Recipient of a Scholarship from the Edward James Foundation for Postgraduate Studies at West Dean College, 2012.
- Recipient of a Bursary from Dr. Robin Barnard for Graduate Studies at West Dean College, 2011.
- Recipient of a Scholarship from the Edward James Foundation for Graduate Studies at West Dean College, 2011.
- Recipient of a Director’s Scholarship Award for attendance to a course at Rare Book School, 2011.